We have seen moderate growth in the past few years, and a lot of diversification in our economic base. Traditionally, the main base has been agriculture, but other industries are becoming large contributors. Oil and gas is a large part of our business base, due to our proximity to Swan Hills, a resource town built on oil and gas, as well as large exploration and pipeline development within our area. We also have exploration and processing of coal bed methane, a biofuel production facility in the neighboring municipality in the works, and forestry with two large lumber mills close by.
Diversification within agriculture is also prevalent, encompassing numerous mixed farming enterprises including grain, peas, hog, beef, dairy, poultry, elk, sheep, goats, ostrich, rhea, purebred cattle, purebred hogs, llamas, alpaca and seed growers. Diversification has expanded to ventures in market gardens, greenhouse vegetables, field vegetables, rhubarb, spice growing, garden nurseries and tree nurseries.
Recreation and tourism opportunities are available due to our convenient location near Edmonton. In addition, the area offers a variety of landscapes and excellent water bodies! We also offer a wide range of retail, shopping and supply outlets and stores, with community-minded service. Our businesses offer their time and resources generously, to give back to our residents and community!
There are also many employment opportunities with public bodies such as:
- Alberta Health Services
- Pembina Hills Regional School Division
- Northplex: Modular home builder and modular construction company
- Neeralta Manufacturing: Wide range of abilities to meet the needs of the agricultural, oil and gas, and construction industries
- Pollard Banknote: Generates scratch and win lottery tickets
- Crop Production Services Ltd.: Fertilizer, grain sales and service, chemicals, herbicides
- Richardson Milling: Barley and oat processing
- Barrhead Plastics: Plastic productions
- Breal Metal Buildings & Industrial Insulation Ltd.: Metal buildings, industrial insulation
- GFR Ingredients: Processing food and nutrition supplements such as hemp