- All municipalities are required by law to follow the guidelines within the MGA.
- Assessors use sales information to calculate the value of your property. This means that market value, not the assessor, determines the value of your property. Similar properties will have comparable assessed values.
- All farmland properties are now assessed using the Productivity Levels prescribed in the current provincial legislation designed to measure the potential capability of farmland to produce income from farming operations.
- Your 2023 assessment is an estimate of your property's real estate value as of July 1, 2022. If your building was only partially complete on December 31, 2022, your assessment reflects the value of the land and value of the building based on percentage completed.
- By mail or in-person: 5306-49 Street, Barrhead, AB T7N 1N5
- In-person payments can be made with cash, cheque, or debit
|MUNICIPAL||Tax Levy||Assessment||Tax Rate|
|Residential||$ 4,640,537||$ 755,406,460||6.1431|
|Farmland||$ 1,088,906||$ 61,122,980||17.8150|
|Non-Residential||$ 811,387||$ 45,545,140||17.8150|
|Pipe & Power||$ 2,215,744||$ 124,376,890||17.8150|
|Machinery & Equipment||$ 750,842||$ 42,146,610||17.8150|
|Total Municipal||$ 9,507,446||$ 982,410,350|
|EDUCATION||Tax Levy||Assessment||Tax Rate|
|Residential and Farmland||$ 2,010,649||$ 804,645,844||2.4988|
|Non-Residential||$ 606,522||$ 169,775,280||3.5725|
Opted-Out School Board
|Residential and Farmland||$ 25,132||$ 10,057,766||2.4988|
|Non-Residential||$ 168||$ 46,900||3.5725|
|Total Education||$ 2,642,471||$ 984,525,790|
BARRHEAD & DISTRICT
SOCIAL HOUSING ASSOCIATION
|Tax Levy||Assessment||Tax Rate|
|Total||$ 120,839||$ 1,026,672,400||0.1177|
ALBERTA MUNICIPAL AFFAIRS
DESIGNATED PROPERTIES REQUISITION
|Tax Levy||Assessment||Tax Rate|
|Total||$ 12,679||$ 169,958,460||0.0746|
|Tax Levy Grand Total||$ 12,283,435|
A complaint may be made about any of the following matters, as shown on an assessment or tax notice:
- the description of a property or business
- the name and mailing address of an assessed person or taxpayer
- an assessment amount
- an assessment class
- an assessment sub-class
- the type of property
- the type of improvement
- school support
- whether the property is assessable
- whether the property or business is exempt from taxation under Part 10.
There is no right to make a complaint about any tax rate.
Assessment complaint fees:
- Residential - 3 or fewer units & farmland - - - - - $50.00
- Residential - 4 or more units - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $200.00
- Non-Residential - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $200.00
First, if you believe your property assessment is inaccurate, please contact the County Assessor at 780-674-3331. If you and the assessor cannot come to an agreement, you may proceed by filing a formal complaint to the Clerk of the Assessment Review Board. The Assessment Review Board has the authority to review your assessment and direct the Assessor.
An assessment complaint must be filed using the Government of Alberta Assessment Review Board Complaint Form. Alternatively, if you intend to have an agent submit a complaint on your behalf, it must be authorized in writing on the Government of Alberta Assessment Complaints Agent Authorization Form
It is important to complete all fields on the complaint form that are relevant to your property. This will help the assessment review board clerk schedule the appropriate amount of time for your hearing to allow the board members to familiarize themselves with your case prior to the hearing.
The Government of Alberta has published a guide on Filing a Property Assessment Complaint and Preparing for Your Hearing.
Assessment complaints must be returned to:
|Passing of 2023 Property Tax Bylaw No. 3-2023:||May 2, 2023|
|Mailing of 2023 Combined Assessment & Tax Notices:||May 29, 2023|
|Notice of Assessment date:||June 6, 2023|
|Deadline for filing a property assessment appeal:||August 8, 2023|
|Payment deadline for 2023 property taxes:||August 31, 2023|
|Late payment penalty of 8% applied to all unpaid taxes after:||August 31, 2023|
|Late payment penalty of 4% applied to all unpaid taxes after:||October 31, 2023|
|Late payment penalty of 4% applied to all unpaid taxes after:||February 29, 2024|
Edmonton Land Titles Office
Edmonton, AB T5J 2T3